Frequently Asked Questions
Infrared thermography is a non-contact, nondestructive test method that utilizes a thermal imager to detect, display and record thermal patterns and temperatures across the surface of an object. Infrared thermography may be applied to any situation where knowledge of thermal profiles and temperatures will provide meaningful data about a system, object or process. Thermography is widely used in industry for predictive maintenance, condition assessment, quality assurance, and forensic investigations of electrical, mechanical and structural systems. Other applications include, but are not limited to: law enforcement, firefighting, search and rescue, and medical and veterinary sciences.
Every commercial, industrial, or healthcare facility has applications for infrared thermography. Common applications include:
- Electrical Systems – detect incipient failures such as loose connections, overloaded circuits, or faulty equipment
- Flat Roofs – identify and document latent moisture within new or existing roofing systems
- Building Envelopes – locate and document excess energy loss and/or latent moisture
- Mechanical Systems – identify excess heating due to friction, wear, or misalignment
- Steam Systems – identify leaking steam traps and defective insulation
- Underground Piping – detect evidence of underground pipe leaks for systems that carry heated or cooled fluids
Drawing upon decades of experience, Jersey Infrared Consultants routinely perform infrared inspections for commercial and industrial facilities, cooperate on research and development projects, and provide expert witness services. Please visit our Infrared Inspection Services page for additional information on specific applications.
There are several standards and specifications published for infrared thermography. Currently, standards exist for the certification of personnel, operation of equipment, and inspections of electrical, mechanical, and structural systems. Jersey Infrared Consultants staff consists of Infraspection Institute Certified Infrared Thermographers®. All Surveys are performed using state-of-the-art equipment with direct traceability to the National Institute of Standards and Technology and follow procedures that meet or exceed current industrial standards including those published by NETA, NFPA, ASTM and Infraspection Institute.
Simply put, infrared certification is an indication of one’s level of formal training. This training, combined with experience and knowledge of the system or structure being inspected determine a thermographer’s qualifications. Jersey Infrared Consultants thermographers are certified by Infraspection Institute. Our personnel meet or exceed the requirements outlined in the American Society for Nondestructive Testing document, SNT-TC-1A.
Advances in technology have provided infrared equipment that is user-friendly; however, infrared thermography is not a ‘simply point and shoot’ technology. In addition to understanding the object or system being inspected, thermographers must also understand common error sources that can influence observed thermal data. Jersey Infrared Consultants’ thermographers have a thorough understanding of infrared theory, heat transfer concepts, equipment selection and operation, how to eliminate or overcome common error sources, and several specific applications.
At the conclusion of your Infrared Survey, you will receive a comprehensive report in hardcopy and/or digital formats. Your report will include the following:
- Thermographer’s Comments
- Description of the work completed and/or findings
- Detailed information along with thermogram to provide appropriate documentation of problems or areas of interest
- Avoided Cost Analysis Report (Electrical Surveys)
- Drawings indicating size and location of problem areas (does not apply to all applications)
Examples of our reports may be viewed on the application-specific pages on this website.
Jersey Infrared Consultants provide infrared inspections nationwide.
Jersey Infrared Consultants, an ISNetworld compliant firm, have provided commercial and industrial Infrared Surveys throughout the United States since 1984. We are leaders in commercial and industrial Infrared Thermography.
- Our thermographers are certified by Infraspection Institute, and are certified to Level 3 in Thermal/Infrared Method in accordance with ASNT document, SNT-TC-1A
- Jersey Infrared Consultants’ safety compliance, background checks, and drug screening programs are a part of our commitment to providing an unequaled level of client care and quality service
- Our procedures meet or exceed current industrial standards, including those published by NETA, NFPA, ASTM and Infraspection Institute.
- We perform our Infrared Surveys using the state-of-the-art infrared equipment appropriate to the subject application
- Our staff size and commitment to customer service allow flexibility and scheduling of projects to meet your needs
- Our capabilities, expertise, and professionalism enable us to remain at the forefront of the infrared inspection business